Monday, January 28, 2013

Camera-less Film: Scratch Animation

I really enjoyed making a scratch film in animation class. It was unusual to be able to hold the film in my hands and look over the whole thing piece by tiny piece before sending it up onto the screen. I was especially pleased by scratching away some parts and removing others with bleach, and then putting colored markers to use in their place.
This is a sample animation I found which uses similar techniques to those we considered in class, but this whole 3 minute animation was done by a single person. They must have dedicated quite a bit of time to scratching away at that film. I would have gotten frustrated (probably) but their work paid off with smooth animation that uses line and color effectively to produce pleasant moving shapes. My own animation was totally random, so I appreciate the careful thought that went into this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment